DOI: 10.1093/bjs/znad258.599 ISSN:

835 Experience of a Virtual Surgical Education Teaching Programme During the Covid-19 Pandemic

A Onifade, Y Perikleous, E Vincent, J Kinross
  • Surgery



Though most doctors will undertake a surgical placement as part of their foundation years, recent papers have demonstrated variability in perceived preparedness for these posts. The COVID-19 pandemic has also resulted in unprecedented challenges for surgical foundation doctors to advance their learning around the provision of surgical care. In view of this, we developed a virtual consultant-led surgical teaching programme to level the playing field by offering high-quality surgical educational opportunities during the pandemic.


Six online teaching sessions were delivered from June to July 2021. The sessions were delivered using Microsoft Teams and lasted one hour. Participants were based within Imperial Healthcare Trust and a teaching hospital - Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria. A foundation doctor presented a case in each session, followed by relevant consultant teaching. There were opportunities for questions and further discussion. Verbal and written feedback was sought throughout.


Overall, we received positive feedback. 85% of participants rated the teaching excellent; whilst the remaining 15% rated it very good. All participants reported the session objectives were met, delivery was at the appropriate pace and the delivery was clear.


Through the delivery of teaching virtually we were able to reduce geographical barriers to surgical education and contribute to the prevention of COVID-19 transmission. Going forward, we plan to deliver these sessions again, and develop a pre- and post-session assessment to further assess its effectiveness. Nevertheless, we achieved our main objective - to promote equal access to surgical educational opportunities for junior doctors in the U.K. and overseas.

More from our Archive