DOI: 10.3390/jmse12010018 ISSN: 2077-1312

A Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Shoreline Changes in the Ilaje Coastal Area of Ondo State, Nigeria

Olujumoke Adesola Ogunrayi, Precious Agbeko Dzorgbe Mattah, Regina Folorunsho, Emmanuel Jolaiya, Omoniyi John Ikuomola
  • Ocean Engineering
  • Water Science and Technology
  • Civil and Structural Engineering

Erosion presents a significant challenge to coastlines worldwide, and the Ilaje area in Nigeria’s Niger Delta is no different. Aggressive flooding along this shoreline has led to property damage, economic disruption, and a looming threat to the survival of riverine communities in the region. This study presents a comprehensive analysis of spatial and temporal changes in the Ilaje coastal area of Ondo state from 1986 to 2020. The analysis utilized the SCE, EPR, and LRR methods to examine shoreline changes. Additionally, spatial digitization was performed for Ayetoro, a highly susceptible coastal community, spanning from 2008 to 2023. The results indicate that approximately 86% of the coastline experienced erosion, while the remaining 14% underwent accretion. Notably, the western and central sections of the coastline emerged as the areas most vulnerable to erosion. Ayetoro, situated centrally, faces dire circumstances. The interplay of natural geomorphic processes and human activities played a role in driving these changes. Beyond the immediate physical alterations, erosion has reverberated through the local ecosystems, livelihoods, and infrastructure, posing risks to numerous communities. This study emphasizes the need for urgent actions through integrated coastal zone management (ICZM) strategies to promote coastal stability in the region. The results of the study further provide valuable insights into the need for coastal managers and planners to regularly assess the state of the coastline and proactively proffer suitable solutions to reduce rampant coastal degradation.

More from our Archive